Tuesday 8 May 2012

Press Release research.

I have decided to postpone designing the billboard and bus ads because I want a bit more time to think about them. Therefore I have decided to move straight onto the press release as I feel a bit more confident about my ideas for them than I do my billboard and bus ad at the moment.

I found it difficult researching press releases which are well designed and creative. Usually it's like a simple document announcing a change/event/product etc so the media can pick up on it and decide whether it's news worthy.
I keep finding stuff like this which doesn't help any ideas:

Found via Google: http://www.ananogales.com/htmls_en/upcoming/upcoming.php

Similar to the letterhead it is very simple and doesn't really have any eye pleasing features. The logo is about the only design feature I can find.
Anyway I did a bit more research and found a few more pictures which helped a little bit but were all I could find.


Found via Google: http://www.iamwingman.com/wingman/2010/11/24/sports-magazine-press-release/

This kind of thing is what I need to look for because it is advertising in a magazine, which I will be doing. You can create a press release in any form (magazine, newspaper, video etc) but this is more of what I want.

After looking closely at this design I found that it's a typical lads mag and this press release is advertising deodorant wipes called 'Wingman' which already tells you it's a nice smelling product which is mainly focused on female attraction. But as I saw in the subtitle of this press release the person in the image is referred to as 'King Of Shaves' which could be the reason why they used the gold colour.
In addition to this they have used quite a masculine font. I can tell this just by the width and size of the letters (especially subtitles and main title) which would attract the male population. They have mostly separated the text weights by having a light font for the body of text and then a bold font for the questions/subtitle which breaks the paragraphs up and lets you know instantly that it's the end of that paragraph.

I found this piece interesting because I want to put my press release in a magazine called 'Bulletin' which is essentially quite a lads mag but involves features to do with Action, Sport, Travel, Arts and Music. This would tie in well with the Ice Hockey game genre.

Bulletin Magazine Page 14. August 2011

Bulletin Magazine Page 15. August 2011

Bulletin Magazine Page 26. August 2011

Bulletin Magazine Page 76. August 2011

I've scanned in a few examples of some pages from the Bulletin magazine. I just want to show how their pages are laid out so when I come to design my press release then I know what sort of fonts I want to use and layouts.
In the first image you can see a dotted line running across the page which is used quite often in the other pages in the magazine so I could involve that. Also similar to the Sports Magazine image I posted the fonts are quite butch for the titles which relate to the masculine theme.
In the third image shapes are used which have images pasted into them which is a technique used quite often. Something I could have a go at.
As for the last page, a big 'H' is displayed as a drop-cap to start the page and is in italics which represents the speed of the sport they're talking about which you can tell is motorbike racing from the image.

I think I will use a few examples from my flyer research again because I quite liked the layout of them and could appeal quite eye catching. I want this to stand out simply because the main point of a press release is to get the news and media to catch onto your advertisement.

No comments:

Post a Comment