Sunday 13 May 2012

Flag/merchandise research and designs.

This aspect of the project isn't really a major part of the project but something I just wanted to do because it's simply a piece of merchandise and it's different from designing on a square design space like a billboard. I knew that the research would be minimum and the existing designs would be very simple and stagnant. When I got to my research I found this to be true as the research I found really didn't help me that much and because of the lack of inspiration out there for this kind of thing it was very hard to develop it in a way which is 'different'. This was ok though as I only really considered this piece as an 'extra'.

I started off trying to find flags which could be customised to put your logo on the equipment and found that the only real design aspect was the logo and a running theme with the jerseys of these particular teams.

Found via Google: http://www.nhlflags.com/


Found via Google: http://www.nhlflags.com/


These two flags are of the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Philadelphia Flyers. The shapes used are a representation of the kit they wear. Pittsburgh (top image) has quite a modern and stylish design which differs slightly from the Philadelphia team's kit


Found via Google: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/504496-pittsburgh-penguins-defensemen-kris-letang-alex-goligoski-taking-center-stage

Found via Google: http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Pittsburgh+Penguins+v+Philadelphia+Flyers+BXGu7s3gSucl.jpg

As you can see the Philadelphia Flyer's kit is a lot more traditional and uses a sports strip theme whereas the Pittsburgh kit is a bit more modern and stylish. So these reflect the design on the flags. So you can see the Penguins have a more modern approach and fits around the logo design where the Philadelphia design matches the sports stripes.

Moving on from this I came across these things:

Found via Google: http://www.usimprints.com/store/category/promotional-outdoor-flags/

Found via Google: http://www.getkooky.com.au/giant-hand-inflatable-australian-flag


These are inflatable flags/merchandise and I think they are a good idea for this aspect as it's cheap, lightweight and fun. The audience can have lots of fun with these things as they can fit on your hand like a glove so you don't have to worry about holding it all the time. If it's thrown it won't hurt anyone and it's also child-friendly.
But these designs are just the same as the top flags, it's just pretty much the logo and a name.

Onto my designs again I didn't really do any sketches as I knew the designs were going to be really simple and heavy use of the logo which is a drag and drop job.
I wanted to incorporate features of my kit and try to accomodate the shape of the logo into the shapes which will help make the design a little more interesting and cool looking. I think to make it look cool is a key aspect because sports fans love that sort of thing, they love things that look 'epic' and bold.
Here are my designs and the notes on the screenshots will explain everything about that particular design:












Because there wasn't much to go on the simple nature of the product I had limited ideas to experiment on but I tried to use the research features I found.
My final outcome:


I chose this one because I thought it had the most outstanding features and the white made the information appear more readable. Also I think the white is a good distraction from too much blue or too much gold as it can be a little overwhelming.

I struggled with this aspect simply because there was no research out there to inspire me even though the design is really simple. I also didn't really learn anything from it which was a disappointment but I've learned a lot from the other aspects from this project so I don't feel at a loss!

The next thing I need to do and the last thing is the Bus Advertisement.

No comments:

Post a Comment