Monday 7 May 2012

Photo player kit change.

To have a believable advertisement campaign I need to be able to present them with some photos which have a player wearing my kit design. So in order to do that I planned to change the kit using Photoshop. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to pull it off and I thought it would end up turning out really bad but I wanted a challenge! I've never done something like this so I've learnt quite a lot from it. For example I've improved my knowledge of the burn/dodge/warp/clone tool significantly. Seeing as I had to cover up the original kit features with the clone tool I knew it would take a very long time but I did it anyway.

I started off with my own photography but found that my action shots weren't very sharp when you zoom in even a little bit which really worried me as they didn't look very good at all. Also I couldn't revisit another game because the season had already finished.

Here is my first attempt:













Turning out the way it did I did some serious thinking and this was worrying me really badly as I had wasted about 8 hours or so trying to do this. I knew I had to have another crack at it but knew my photos weren't good enough so I was forced to use stock for the next one so I'm at least guaranteed a high quality image for when I do my next one.

The next day I was feeling really down about this turnout but felt determined to do a good job on this so I chose my stock image with a kit design that's fairly simple and lots of white. Turns out I chose a Pittsburgh Penguins player called Jordan Staal (favourite team and player!):

Found via Google: http://thefanhub.com/photos/for_team/623/Pittsburgh-Penguins

When I went to sleep and woke up the next morning I had an idea that might work. I thought maybe using the quick mask method (something I've never properly used) could change the colour of the clothing and not having to always cut and paste. Anyway the stickies will explain what I did but here is the evolvement:








I was really pleased with the final result and SO relieved that it worked! It took me 15 hours to do this so I was really happy at the end. Because we're nearing the deadline this is the only player I can change as it just takes way too long to do but I'll definitely use this design to great effect.
I learned a lot from this experiment and look forward to doing my advertisement now.

Now my next thing to focus on is the actual flyer design.

No comments:

Post a Comment