Tuesday 27 March 2012

Ram logo sketches.

I have done some sketches for a new logo idea - some of them are quite samey as the previous ideas I had style wise but I think they work effectively. The best thing I need to do is make sure it's interesting and can connote the meanings well, in this case strength, endurance and royalty.


This first sketch is simply a crown with some ram horns attached to it. When I came up with this idea I wanted to use something which could possibly attach two things together and make it one instead of them being separate. I think this can be quite effective as a logo because it looks unrealistic and slightly enigmatic. The roughness of the horns and sharp ends would take on an aggressive look to portray the players as warriors, as for the crown it would signify the royal aspect of Tunbridge Wells.



I think this one was my favourite design out of the lot of them simply because it's a simple shape only it can be easily noted as to what it is. I wanted to try an abstract approach and this is what I came up with. I hit some inspiration from this via www.dribbble.com:

Found via Ivan Bobrov on Dribbble: http://dribbble.com/shots/167895-Ram

This design caught my eye because it was one of the rare abstract versions of designs when I searched 'Ram' into the search bar. I can see a sort of embryo shape to this design however, but as you can see by my sketch I've made a bigger head and more of a sharp style.

I think the crown is a nice touch and would simply be a solid colour vector shape. The design is simple enough and I think it suits staying very simple, any complicated patterns in the crown would look bad not to mention when sized down would be impossible to see therefore solid colour will be the best solution.
I think people will be able to see that it is a ram's head if they look closely and not some tad pole thing! I think when the detail comes in (gradients) then it will look more obvious.


This design is a very conventional logo as it's a straight on face of the ram's head and crown on top. This was simply inspired by the previous design for Fordham Rams that I added in the previous post. It's obvious, strong and looks intimidating, it will definitely suit the original American style artwork that I used for my Sovereigns face logo. I think the public would immediately tell what this logo connotes, that it is suggesting something strong and aggressive whilst the crown will tell them the team is royal/from a royal town/city. Definitely not a design that is 'different' as such but it gets the message across easily and effectively. I still prefer the previous sketch though as it still projects the same connotations but is a little different and original.



Lastly this design was inspired by the ram head on the Tunbridge Wells Coat of Arms logo which I added in the post before last. As you can see I have imitated the ram's head but added a crown on top. I like the ram facing sideways as this is always seen as a sophisticated and smart posture for anything as it looks proper and upright. The crown will represent royalty and I have added some swirls at the bottom of the logo, this is to try and represent the spring water and bring that into the design, it's not an important thing to consider but I'm just trying different things.

I think I will take up the second design and follow that on screen. I feel it is a more abstract and enigmatic approach than something that is the same as everything else. I also think it bolds well with a strong image but with a clean design, resulting in a modern yet traditional approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment