Saturday 14 April 2012

Kit research continued.

An idea I had earlier was to have a look at some royal clothing that members of the Royal Family would wear. I think this could be a key asset in making the kit look original whilst looking regal. Of course there are a lot of features worn by members of the Royal Family as seen below:

Found via Google: http://www.hdwallpapersdesktop.com/Photography-Wallpapers/British-Royal/images/british-royal-family-1400x1050.jpg
I could have chosen an earlier version of the Royal Family but I think this one will be most suitable as it is up to date and modern. The Family is very famous, obviously, and therefore everything they wear will have the most traditional regal clothing that looks modern and fashionable and because I want to project a modern and stylised kit I need to follow that trend.

From this photo I can gather that there are many features available but everything together looks too clustered and so I need to choose specific parts out and test them out to see if they would fit or not.
A lot of the features already look very detailed and complicated which wouldn't work in my designs, for example the medallions, aiguillette (gold lace on right shoulder), cuffs, buttons etc.
That aside there are some features that could work, for example the blue ribbon worn across Prince William's torso could be incorporated somehow. It is quite a standalone feature and is bold which people recognise as a symbol of royalty/academia/success. I also quite like the gold neck collar as it works with the colours and stands out. Seeing as one of my main colours is gold this could work really well.
I also noticed on the trousers they wear they appear to be all black except for a red stripe down the side of the leg which stays consistent with the design of the upper body but remaining basic, formal and sophisticated. Another aspect that looks quite a lot like the traditional sport stripes pattern is the ribbon worn by Prince Harry. The stripes consist of 2 colours sandwiching the red. In addition to this the collar appears to have a 'stroked' effect in red to coincide with the rest of the clothing design.

So there may only be a few examples that could be tried out the Royal Family are some of the most famous regal figures today and therefore trying to connect to what they would wear seems appropriate and I feel like I can make a few subtle design features from this photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment